Sunday, February 17, 2013

Just in the nic of time


I am writing this blog mostly for those who wish to keep up with our adventures as a group.  I expect that some of these posts will be simply 'check-ins', but some will be stories about our travels and experiences.

We started off the day meeting at Saint Eulalia Parish at 4:30 a.m.  I checked everyone's passport and headed into the church for the traditional 'before picture' of all the participants (below).  For the most part, everything went off without a hitch.  We DID get to the airport with little amount of extra time, and we used it all up checking out bags in and handling a small boarding pass debacle.  Despite the fact that  the boarding pass issue made me a little worried at first, it wasn't the biggest blood boiler that I experienced as the group leader this morning.

We did end up getting through the security line with a few minutes before boarding even  started, and of course, why not use those up as well?

"Jared, can we run to Dunkins" asked one of the students...

I hesitatingly said ok, but her response made it clear that I wasn't liking the idea.

"Will that make you to anxious?  We don't have to go..."

"As long as you get back here quickly."

Almost a big mistake.  With 5 minutes left on the clock before boarding the two students who went to Dunkins still weren't there.  I called the students.  No answer.  At the 2 minute warning the staff reiterated "we are shutting the doors in 2 minutes.  There is a flight at 8:20 that you can take."

Aaahhhhh!  I called again between arguing with the staff in hopes that it would buy me some time, all while trying to figure out which chaperone to call on the plane to let them know that they were now in charge because I would have to stay behind with these two students.  How was I going to figure this whole thing out?  We have a layover in Orlando!  Was there a flight from there to Jamaica again today?

"I'm sorry Sir, we have to close the door."

"No no no, I promise they are coming they are coming."

"SIR, we cannot wait."

And then off in the distance, the two students not realizing how close of a call this was strolled round the corner and saw my distress as I waved them on like I was the flag barer at the Daytona 500...

And then Dunkin Donuts' slogan became realized when the two immediately changed their gates from casual sloth to Jamaican Olympic track star ...'Dunkin Donuts.  We keep America running.'


No comments:

Post a Comment