Sunday, February 24, 2013

Last Reflections

So, we made it!  All the way to Jamaica and back again without any problems whatsoever!

For me, this trip was huge, and it has been by far the most influencing week any of these trips have ever had on me.  This trip meant a lot more to me than simply going away and doing some service work.  I've developed new ideas on what being a Christian is really all about, and I've re-enforced my belief in the quote Father Gomes recited from Saint Francis of Assisi during the blessing he gave us before my first workcamp with the kids here almost 7 years ago: "Preach the Gospel at all times and when necessary use words."

More than that though, this trip was a chance for me to get one last trip in with the group I've been working with the longest since I've started working at the church.  These high school seniors were in 7th grade when I first started working here in my early 20's, and I have grown far more attached to them than any other group so far.  They will all be off to college next year, and it's tough to take in the fact that I won't be seeing them nearly as much anymore.  Just writing this sentence literally brings some tears to my eyes.  Of course, I wish them infinite blessings on their journeys in the future, and I sincerely hope that I've made some sort of positive impact on their lives since they have met me. 

To the campers on the Jamaica trip:  Knowing you has been such a great fortune, and I want you to know that I love you all very much.  I look forward to hearing about your accomplishments in the future (as I know you will have many) and I look forward to transitioning from your youth minister simply into a friend as you all become adults. 

God Bless,

Jared

No comments:

Post a Comment