Wednesday, February 20, 2013

On The Discovery of Neptune

In the mid eighteenth century, astronomer Alexis Bouvard was studying the planet Uranus.  With the telescopes then extant, Uranus was the furthest known planet from Earth.  Based on fluctuations in Uranus' orbit, Bouvard predicted the existence of a planet beyond the orbit of Uranus.  Years later, the planet Neptune was discovered.  Alexis Bouvard didn't need to see something to know that it existed.

Jared first asked me to chaperon a Catholic Heart Work Camp trip three summers ago.  At the time I was in what could be called a rough patch in my faith life.  Not knowing what to expect, I convinced myself that I would find answers to all of my questions that week in Maryland.

Wednesday night, at the camp, Fr. Rose led the campers in a Eucharistic adoration.  The mood in the gym was peaceful and serene.  The monstrance entered the gym, and soft music begin to play, outside of which was near total silence.  After several minutes, I began to hear scattered sniffles.  Soon, many, if not most, of those gathered in the gym were leaking tears.  Two guys, sitting in front of me, were in each other's arms, weeping profusely at the enormity of the moment.  These guys were co-captain of their high school football team.

I didn't have that moment that I was expecting in Prince Frederick.  I wasn't grabbed and shaken by God.  In some sense though, I got something equally as impactful.  I wasn't able to see God, but I was able to see the reflection of God in someone else, or two someone-elses in this case. 

It wasn't the treasure map with the "X marks the spot" that I was looking for.  What it was was the first step down a road that has lead to enormous changes in my life, particularly in my faith life, and the experiencing of things that I can't begin to describe. 

Sometimes, we can not see what we seek, but if we pay careful enough attention, we can see its ripples, as it traces a cosmic path across our lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment